Code Club will teach primary school children computer programming (coding), which in the 21st century could prove to be as vital a skill set for coming generations as traditional reading and writing.
There will be a public meeting explaining how Code Club can be set up at primary schools next Thursday, February 21, from 7.30pm at Matthew’s Yard, the privately owned coffee shop off Surrey Street.
Head teachers, teachers, governors, parents and other interested parties are welcome to attend to hear more about this initiative.
All primary school heads from central Croydon have been invited to attend this meeting by Gavin Barwell MP. He has said that the Croydon Tech City movement, of which Code Club is a part, is “an incredible idea and has my full backing. Part of this involves engaging young people and crucially helping them to develop the skills they will need to compete in the future global marketplace”.
The volunteers working to make Code Club a reality are Simon Bird, the founder and director of local business dotDigital Group plc; Margaret Chatelier, IT software trainer; Tara Green, a school counsellor; Ally McKinlay, of the Healthy Living Project; Monique Rebeiro, the director of Lives Not Knives; and Fiona Stewart, a freelance marketer.
If you would like to attend, please contact Tara Green: 07973 404 113 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
And if you would like more information on Code Club please contact Monique Rebeiro at email@example.com
- Inside Croydon: For comment and analysis about Croydon, from inside Croydon – 142,300 unique page views, Nov 2012-Jan 2013
- Post your comments on this article below. If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Getting trollied: Croydon’s uncharitable councillors (insidecroydon.com)
- Transition Town looks to Cuba for inspiration (youthandeldersja.wordpress.com)
- Lollipop patrols face the axe on danger roads in Croydon (standard.co.uk)