Are you interested in the development of young people? Could you help a young black or minority ethnic male to reach his full potential?
The Croydon Mentoring Consortium is a partnership of six organisations who are working with the Greater London Authority to provide BME boys who are at risk of offending or of being not in education, employment or training (NEET) with mentors who can empower them to lead a positive lifestyle.
Croydon Mentoring Consortium is looking for committed, compassionate people, preferably some experience of working with people from disadvantaged backgrounds but not essential, to volunteer as mentors for BME boys aged 10 to 16 years. Mentors will be responsible for developing a professional, trusting relationship with their mentee, offer information and support to their mentees, assist their mentees to engage in education, training and employment and assist their mentee to build and maintain positive relationships.
An enhanced CRB check is required for this role and the Croydon Mentoring Consortium will process and pay for this on behalf of volunteers.
Mentoring sessions with young people can take place any day of the week or weekend between 9.30am and 7.30pm.
All volunteer mentors will be expected to participate in an intensive training course before commencing their role. Each training course takes place over one Thursday evening and one full Saturday. Applicants can choose between the following course dates:
- Course 1 Thu March 14 from 6pm to 9pm and Sat March 16 10am–5pm
- Course 2 Thu March 21 from 6pm to 9pm and Sat March 23 10am–5pm
Applications for this role are particularly welcomed from males over the age of 18 years.
- Please ring 07766004149 or email@example.com if you would like to discuss this role further.
- Inside Croydon: For comment and analysis about Croydon, from inside Croydon – 253,473 page views Sep 2012-Feb 2013
- Post your comments on this article below. If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Leadership Roles – How to Mentor someone (rockingyourrole.wordpress.com)