It is the sort of big-name August signing that Dougie Freedman can only dream about.
Andrew Pelling, the former MP for Croydon Central and long-time local councillor, has agreed to write for Inside Croydon.
Pelling’s first piece for Inside Croydon will be posted later today.
Our new special correspondent will provide his own unique insight to the bizarre and Byzantine workings of Croydon Council and the broader local political scene, particularly in the coming months in the run-up to the London Mayoral and London Assembly elections.
But Pelling’s brief for Inside Croydon will run far wider than simply the goings on at the Town Hall. As well as being a very active member of the local Labour party, the former Conservative MP is an enthusiastic member of his community in Shirley as well as a regular church-goer.
Pelling joins our other frequent contributors, such as Walker Dunelm, our rambling correspondent (that means he writes about rambling, not that his copy needs considerable editing) , Jean Brodie on local education and libraries, and Bella Bartock, our resident culture vulture, who help to provide comment, opinion and insight on matters that matter to Croydon.
We would also like to extend our grateful thanks to all the other supporters and correspondents who have contributed to Inside Croydon during its first year. While things over the summer weeks have been a little quieter than usual at Inside Croydon Towers (a half-billion pound edifice, built at no cost to the local rate payers), normal service will be resumed soon.
- We always welcome contributions and suggestions about living life on the fringes of London. If you want to make contact, please email email@example.com.
- Croydon goes Mental over “monstrous” 54-storey tower (insidecroydon.com)
- Has Croydon called in carpet baggers to sell-off libraries? (insidecroydon.wordpress.com)
- Reports claim police to investigate council contracts (insidecroydon.wordpress.com)
- Sadvertiser gives Inside Croydon a silly boost in traffic (insidecroydon.wordpress.com)
- Gavin Barwell’s website, payments and councillors on his staff (insidecroydon.wordpress.com)