Just days after he was re-elected with a massively reduced majority as the London Assembly Member for Croydon and Sutton, Steve O’Connell, Britain’s most over-paid local councillor, has done a runner from Twitter.
Since O’Connell likes to place himself above any accountability, and as we can’t put the question to him via Twitter for him to ignore (as is his usual practice), to tell why the local councillor for Kenley has deleted his @steve_gla account, we have to suggest that the likely explanation comes from these possibilities:
- All London Assembly Members are to be issued with a standardised Twitter address, through which they can engage with their constituents and answer their questions (O’Connell will just love that). Or…
- Duly re-elected, his generous City Hall allowances guaranteed for another four years, the former mortgage salesman has decided to abandon the pretence of being in touch with his constituents, until the next time he wants their votes. Or…
- He can’t trust himself not to drop another online bollock, as he did last November, when he posted a Tweet about collecting football tickets when he ought to have been at a Croydon Council cabinet meeting. Good job we kept a copy, now that O’Connell’s deleted his old account, eh?
- Inside Croydon: brought to you from the heart of the borough, free of charge, an independent voice standing for freedom of speech for the people of Croydon
- Croydon questions: Steve O’Connell, Conservatives (insidecroydon.com)
- Candidate has second worst attendance record at Town Hall (insidecroydon.com)
- Democracy fails as Ken and Boris both lack the X Factor (insidecroydon.com)
- Steve O’Connell took gift from cricket fixer Majeed (insidecroydon.com)