Today sees the start of Black History Month.
One of the events being staged is organised by local business people Claudine and Patrick Reid of PJ’s Community Service, who want to celebrate the history of Black Caribbean and African enterprise in Britain.
The event is being staged on Tuesday, October 29 at 7pm at Parchmore Place, 1-6 The Mews, 92a Parchmore Road, Thornton Heath, Surrey CR7 8LX. The event is free, but you do need to book in advance by emailing Claudine Reid or calling her on 020 8239 6911.
This family focused event will walk you through the history of enterprise in the Caribbean community with a presentation by Dr Christopher Johnson, an award-winning journalist and author.
Patrick Reid will give a motivational talk on the 21-year history of his Croydon-based social enterprise and the impact the organisation has on society.
UK Gospel’s favourite Praise and Worship duo Clif & Marie will share a heart warming, toe-tapping selection from their Gospel Music Workshop Choir.
Croydon Council is also promoting a number of events, with the borough’s recently privatised libraries supposed to offer displays and events, with the “highlight” to be a talk by Floella Benjamin at the newly opened Fisher’s Folly. The council programme overall appears a little on the anorexic side of thin, which may explain the inclusion on the lists of a couple of comedy nights at the Favoured Halls with Reginald D Hunter and Gina Yashere. Comedy? Yes. Black culture, sure. But history? It looks just a bit of a stretch, a couple of Fairfield bookings bolted on to sprinkle some star dust on an otherwise lacklustre offering.
The council says, “The programme for 2013 includes opportunities to discover historical events through performance, music, storytelling and songs. Many events are free and the majority take place in Croydon, including some exciting events in our libraries. We do hope there is something to interest you.”
Coming to Croydon
- Tea at Five at the Spread Eagle: Oct 2-4
- Minster’s musical celebration for Silver Sunday: Oct 6
- Rent at the Secombe Theatre: Oct 9-12
- Debate the future of arts in Croydon: Oct 10
- Stanley Lives – open day in South Norwood: Oct 12
- Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough – 262,183 page views (Jan-Jun 2013)
- Post your comments on this article below.
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Council faces massive compensation bill over housing failings (insidecroydon.com)
- Riesco Collection at Croydon Museum (lineandwash.blogspot.com)