Stanley Halls’ first major public performance since the historic venue was taken over by a local community group has been announced for February 5, featuring Steve Knightly, whose group Show of Hands has been described by Peter Gabriel as “one of the great English bands”.
Knightley is spending 2014 taking his music to community venues throughout the land, with South Norwood’s Stanley Halls among the first.
The solo Grow Your Own Gig Tour sees Knightly return to the rural roots of his music. “Having written so many songs over the years about people who live and work in the countryside and the day-to-day issues they face – it will be great to actually perform them in their spiritual homes,” he said.
With numerous BBC Folk awards and four sell-out appearances at the Royal Albert Hall behind him, Knightly says he is looking forward to getting up close and personal with a whole new audience. “Village halls and community venues attract a unique audience making it as much a social occasion as a musical event. I can’t wait to start.”
- With the Stanley Halls date expected to be a sell-out, early bookings are advised. Tickets are £16 plus a booking fee. Secure online box office link: http://www.ticketsource.co.uk/date/80943
- Email and phone contacts: 07939 726293; Paxtonmusicpromotions@gmail.com
Coming to Croydon
- PJ’s enterprising look at Black History Month: Oct 29
- The Railway Children: Oct 30-Nov 2
- Frankenstein’s Travelling Freakshow: Nov 5-8
- Poppy Cafe, Coulsdon, re-opening: Nov 9
- St Giles School open morning: Nov 13
- Secret Love at the Ashcroft Theatre: Nov 14
- Future Tech City: Nov 30
- Comedy in Music show: Dec 1
- Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough – 262,183 page views (Jan-Jun 2013)
- Post your comments on this article below.
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org