Jeff Gridley, an Old Town resident, is giving up the dry and warmth of his home over the next week and will be living rough to try to highlight the plight of Croydon’s homeless.
Gridley, who drives one of the council contractors Veolia’s dustcarts, will be raising money for Croydon Nightwatch as well as public awareness of the growing number of people having to endure a life on the streets.
Next week’s forecasts are predicting some of the coldest weather of the winter so far for Gridley’s nights out.
Gridley has been volunteering with Nightwatch for a year.
On Sunday, he will leave home wearing second-hand clothes, without money or phone and with just a sleeping bag to keep him warm. He plans to use the services of various homeless “drop in” centres around Croydon as well as receiving food from the Croydon Nightwatch soup run in Queen’s Gardens.
“I hope my first-hand experience will allow Nightwatch to further improve its service to the local homeless community and raise funds for the charity,” Gridley said.
Croydon Nightwatch has been serving the needs of Croydon’s homeless community for more than 37 years and received the Voluntary Group of the Year Award from Croydon Council in the 2012 Civic Awards for being “a local group leading the way in volunteering”.
- If you wish to sponsor Jeff, please go to: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/JeffGridley
- Croydon Nightwatch was Inside Croydon’s designated charity at Christmas 2013. Find out how you can help by visiting their website
- Social services handed out food donations over Christmas
- How did your Croydon MP vote when parliament was asked to reveal a government report on food banks?
- Food Bank Britain 2013: some uncomfortable truths
Coming to Croydon
- STDLCC Screening: Wolf Children, Jan 6
- STDLCC Screening: Museum Hours, Jan 13
- “Croydon Communities Consortium” meeting, Jan 14
- Norwood Society talk, Upper Norwood Library, Jan 16
- STDLCC Screening: The East, Jan 20
- STDLCC Screening: Winter Nomads, Jan 27
- Steve Knightly at Stanley Halls: Feb 5
- Purley Swimathon: Feb 8 and 13
- Norwood Society talk, Upper Norwood Library, Feb 20
- Norwood Society talk, Upper Norwood Library, Mar 20
- Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough – 516,649 page views (Jan-Dec 2013)
- Post your comments on this article below.
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at email@example.com