Fairtrade Fortnight gets underway in Crystal Palace tonight with a film screening that features an introduction by local comedian Mark Thomas.
It examines fair trade policies and labeling as a positive alternative for workers on plantations where harsh working conditions and environmental damage are the norm.
The film was made by independent film-maker Nick Shaw.
This film and corresponding teacher action booklet were quickly taken up by Oxfam and other non-governmental organisations, to be used extensively by schools, universities, and trades unions, and helped with the introduction of the “fair trade banana” into Britain.
The story behind the making of the film is mentioned in the 2008 book Fighting the Banana Wars and other Fairtrade Battles by Harriet Lamb, the director of the Fairtrade Foundation (UK).
Tonight’s screening is taking place at the Antenna Cafe Thing, Haynes Lane, from 7.30pm and is organised by The Local and Fair Group from Crystal Palace Transition Town.
There will be a discussion to follow the film and Crystal Palace Transition Town’s Lynette Aitken and the campaigns manager of the Fairtrade Foundation will be there to answer questions.
Coming to Croydon
- Fairtrade event, Upper Norwood Library, Mar 1
- St David’s Day quiz night, Ruskin House, Mar 1
- Coulsdon and Purley Debating Society, Mar 3
- Patchwork and quilting workshop, Upper Norwood Library, Mar 3
- Fairtrade stall at Food Market, Haynes Lane, Mar 8
- Upper Norwood Library Book Club, Mar 15
- Norwood Society talk, Upper Norwood Library, Mar 20
- South Norwood Lakes Playground group workshop, Mar 25
- David Lean Cinema: Basically Johnny Moped, Mar 27-28
- Croydon Half-marathon, Mar 30
- David Lean Cinema: 12 Years a Slave, Apr 3
- David Lean Cinema: The Great Beauty, Apr 10
- David Lean Cinema: Inside Llewyn Davis, Apr 17
- David Lean Cinema: Short Term, Apr 24
- Crystal Palace Overground Festival, June 26-29
Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough: 516,649 page views (Jan-Dec 2013)
If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at email@example.com