AUG 17 UPDATE: The fly-past today has been cancelled due to adverse weather conditions. Further information from the Kenley Airfield friends group website here
One not to miss this coming Sunday, August 17, at Kenley airfield.
There will be an RAF commemorative flight staged, offering a rare opportunity to see a fly-past by a World War Two Spitfire, a Hurricane like the fighter aircraft which were once based at Kenley, and two Lancaster bombers.
RAF Kenley’s military history dates back to World War One, when it served as a base for the then new Royal Flying Corps. Twenty years later, along with Croydon aerodrome and nearby Biggin Hill, Kenley was one of the main bases at which fighter squadrons were based to protect London during the Battle of Britain.
This Sunday’s events are subject to the weather conditions, with timings as follows:
11.45am: Spitfire and Hurricane.
12.20pm: the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Lancaster accompanied by the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum Lancaster.
These are the only two Lancasters still flying and the chance to see both together in the air will be very special and is unlikely ever to be repeated.
The display will commemorate the sacrifice and dedication of RAF and Commonwealth bomber crews during the war.
After the displays, the Portcullis Club on the airfield will be open from lunchtime for drinks – everyone is welcome and you don’t have to be a member.
Coming to Croydon
- Mythical Maze stories, Crystal Palace Maze, Aug 13
- David Lean Cinema: The Wind Rises, Aug 14
- Mind-Loosing Workshop, Aug 16
- David Lean Cinema: The Love Punch, Aug 16
- Cinema Ruskin film show, Aug 16
- Mythical Maze stories, Crystal Palace Maze, Aug 20
- David Lean Cinema: Stop The Pounding Heart, Aug 21
- Mythical Maze stories, Crystal Palace Maze, Aug 27
- David Lean Cinema: Frank, Aug 28
- Upper Norwood Library well-being groups, Aug 30
- Warlingham rugby dinner with international Richard Hill, Sep 12
- Norwood Society Talk: War Memorials, Sep 18
- Cinema Ruskin film show, Sep 20
- Streatham Common 6M race, Sep 27
- Norwood Society Talk: From Fire Station to Theatre, Oct 16
- Cinema Ruskin film show, Oct 18
- Norwood Society Talk: Lambeth’s Archives, Nov 20
Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough: 407,847 page views (Jan-Jun 2014) If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org