Another day, another sporting world-beater from Croydon.
England will play in the Women’s Rugby World Cup final against Canada in Paris on Sunday, with former Warlingham player, Kay Wilson, being the side’s joint top try-scorer.
England beat Ireland 40-7 in yesterday’s semi-final, with Wilson again on the scoresheet, her fourth try of the tournament.
It will be the fourth consecutive World Cup final for England’s women. But they have lost on the three previous occasions, each time to New Zealand. This year, the All Blacks were knocked out of the tournament by Ireland.
In yesterday’s other semi-final, Canada beat hosts France 18-16, and they will present a tough challenge to England in Sunday’s final at the Stade Jean-Bouin: when the two sides met previously, in a group game in Paris last week, they played a 13-13 draw.
Flying winger Wilson, 22, is playing in her first World Cup. She in her final year of a degree course at Cardiff Met University. She started out in rugby at Warlingham, taking part in minis rugby playing alongside the boys at Hamsey Green.
An established international now with 30 caps, Wilson has a strong background in playing Rugby 7s and has the chance of taking part in the sport’s Olympic debut in Rio de Janeiro in 2016.
If Wilson and her England team mates are successful in winning the World Cup on Sunday, it will lay down a challenge for another product of the Warlingham junior set-up ahead of next year’s men’s World Cup: the England men’s captain Chris Robshaw learned his rugby on the Hamsey Green playing fields, too.
Contact your local rugby clubs here:
Coming to Croydon
- Mind-Loosing Workshop, Aug 16
- David Lean Cinema: The Love Punch, Aug 16
- Cinema Ruskin film show, Aug 16
- RAF Kenley Battle of Britain fly-past, Aug 17
- Mythical Maze stories, Crystal Palace Maze, Aug 20
- David Lean Cinema: Stop The Pounding Heart, Aug 21
- Mythical Maze stories, Crystal Palace Maze, Aug 27
- David Lean Cinema: Frank, Aug 28
- Upper Norwood Library well-being groups, Aug 30
- Warlingham rugby dinner with international Richard Hill, Sep 12
- Norwood Society Talk: War Memorials, Sep 18
- Cinema Ruskin film show, Sep 20
- Streatham Common 6M race, Sep 27
- Norwood Society Talk: From Fire Station to Theatre, Oct 16
- Cinema Ruskin film show, Oct 18
- Norwood Society Talk: Lambeth’s Archives, Nov 20
Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough: 407,847 page views (Jan-Jun 2014) If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at email@example.com