It seems that the widespread support being claimed by the bigots of the BNP for a campaign they are running in New Addington is as non-existent as the plans to build a mosque on which it is based.
Fewer than 30 people turned up yesterday on Central Parade to attend the meeting, despite a month’s worth of hard campaigning and leafleting organised by local British National Party activist John Clarke.
“The more locals we have at this meeting, the better, as a good turnout will speak volumes,” a BNP website had stated before the event.
By that measure, therefore, such a pitiful turn-out suggests that the people of Croydon and New Addington have already seen through Clarke and his mates’ shabby charade.
At the ballot box in May, when he stood as a BNP candidate in the local elections, Clarke managed to attract just 210 votes. He has since been under police investigation for failing to properly account for his election expenses.
The democratic outcome at the May elections somewhat contradicts the BNP’s own publicity, which has claimed to have collected more than 1,000 signatures on a petition conducted around New Addington in recent weeks.
Labour councillors in Fieldway and New Addington wards have joined together with Tory London Assembly Member Steve O’Connell and local MP Gavin Barwell, to condemn the BNP-backed divisive campaign and the planned meeting.
Despite the claims by the BNP, there are no applications or plans to build a mosque in New Addington.
Coming to Croydon
- Mythical Maze stories, Crystal Palace Maze, Aug 20
- David Lean Cinema: Stop The Pounding Heart, Aug 21
- Mythical Maze stories, Crystal Palace Maze, Aug 27
- David Lean Cinema: Frank, Aug 28
- Upper Norwood Library well-being groups, Aug 30
- David Lean Cinema: The Two Faces of January, Sep 4
- David Lean Cinema: Fading Giglolo, Sep 6
- David Lean Cinema: Camille Claudel, Sep 11
- Warlingham rugby dinner with international Richard Hill, Sep 12
- Norwood Society Talk: War Memorials, Sep 18
- David Lean Cinema: Chef, Sep 18
- Cinema Ruskin film show, Sep 20
- Open House London weekend, Sep 20-21
- David Lean Cinema: A Night At The Cinema in 1914, Sep 22
- David Lean Cinema: Jimmy’s Hall, Sep 25
- Streatham Common 6M race, Sep 27
- Norwood Society Talk: From Fire Station to Theatre, Oct 16
- Cinema Ruskin film show, Oct 18
- Norwood Society Talk: Lambeth’s Archives, Nov 20
Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough: 407,847 page views (Jan-Jun 2014) If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org