The Spread Eagle pub is next door to Croydon Town Hall. What better venue, then, to perform a live re-staging of The Goon Show?
The latest production at the Spread Eagle Theatre next week seeks to recreate the comic lunacy of Spike Milligan, Peter Sellers and Harry Secombe as Seagoon, Eccles, Bluebottle, Major Bloodnok and Minnie become embroiled in the case of the heinous Phantom Head Shaver (of Brighton), and tell a terrifying tale of family greed and murder.
Using two classic Milligan radio scripts, the Old Joint Stock Theatre Company and Birmingham Comedy Festival present a live stage show, complete with sound effects and a jazz band.
The Goon Show re-wrote the rules of comedy during the 1950s, attracting radio audiences of nearly 2 million and paving the way for Monty Python, Eddie Izzard, Steve Coogan and The Mighty Boosh.
The Spread Eagle is fast approaching its first birthday as a theatre venue, and The Goon Show is part of the venue’s fourth season, transforming the pub’s upstairs function room into Croydon’s newest studio theatre.
- The Goon Show is being performed at the Spread Eagle from October 8 to 11, at 7.30pm. Tickets are just £10 and can be booked here
Coming to Croydon
- David Lean Cinema: Bright Days Ahead, Oct 2
- Tree Sides, Spread Eagle Theatre, Oct 2-4
- Croydon Fun Palace, Whitgift Centre, Oct 4-5
- East Croydon community meeting, Oct 7
- David Lean Cinema: Boyhood, Oct 9
- David Lean Cinema: Grand Central, Oct 14
- Norwood Society Talk: From Fire Station to Theatre, Oct 16
- David Lean Cinema: Finding Vivian Maier, Oct 16
- Cinema Ruskin film show, Oct 18
- South Croydon business breakfast, Oct 18
- David Lean Cinema: Mood Indigo, Oct 23
- This Was The World and I Was King, Spread Eagle, Oct 23-25
- Upper Norwood Library Book Club, 2.30pm, Oct 25
- David Lean Cinema: Ilo Ilo, Oct 28
- CODA’s Wind In The Willows, Charles Cryer, Carshalton, Oct 29-Nov 1
- David Lean Cinema: Belle, Oct 30
- Albert Einstein – Relativity Speaking, Spread Eagle, Nov 12-15
- South Croydon business breakfast, Nov 15
- Norwood Society Talk: Lambeth’s Archives, Nov 20
- Choose Your Own Documentary, Spread Eagle Theatre, Nov 21-22
- The Last Sense of Sudden, Spread Eagle Theatre, Nov 27-29
- Ghost Stories for Christmas, Spread Eagle Theatre, Dec 3
- Fog Horn Funnies, Spread Eagle Theatre, Dec 6
- South Croydon business breakfast, Dec 13
- South Croydon business breakfast, Jan 24
Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough: 407,847 page views (Jan-Jun 2014) If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at email@example.com