West Croydon is about to get its own Green Mile, though this has nothing to do with a book by Stephen King nor the movie starring Tom Hanks.
The Our Green Mile launch event on March 4 seeks to build on the initiatives undertaken in the past year at West Croydon Station and by community groups by providing a green “corridor” along the London Road all the way from the station to Thornton Heath Pond.
“With your help, in time we will be able create larger community gardens along the road and plant more trees, which will help to improve air quality in the area” say the organisers.
They hope to have new and refreshed flower beds and planters to brighten up the road. “Your help is needed to water and maintain them – free watering cans provided!”
At the launch, planters will be fixed and planted outside West Croydon Station and at the Pond, marking each end of the Green Mile.
The grand opening starts outside West Croydon Station at 11.30am with flowers planted by councillors and guests, before a walk to Thornton Heath Pond with a tour of where other planned works along the mile will be.
“A very big thank you goes out to local councillors as without their backing and financial support from their community budgets this project would not be possible,” the organisers say.
“Our Green Mile is a fantastic opportunity to be working across wards and connecting West Croydon Station Energy Garden and Broad Green with Thornton Heath Community Action Team at The Pond.”
- BECOME AN INSIDE CROYDON SPONSOR: You can support the local journalism that brings you Inside Croydon for less than a fiver per month. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source, and still based in the heart of Croydon
- 1 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017 (January to September)
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS 2017: Inside Croydon was source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org