Sarah Jones, the MP for Croydon Central, has welcomed £300,000-worth of private investment in one of the town centre’s most popular pubs, helping to create seven new jobs.
The extensive renovation at the Green Dragon, on the High Street close to Surrey Street, was carried out at the end of last year.
It now sees a first-floor stage regularly host live bands, games nights, and “open mic” evenings every Thursday, with the most impressive artists brilliantly earning a paid weekend slot and bar tab. A “Cosy Corner”, offers X-Box, Play Station, and pool table whilst a Magic Eye Visual Display transmits stage shows to TVs downstairs.
The refurbishment was part of a £50million spend on its pubs by chain operator Stonegate.
After her visit, Jones said, “It was great to visit the Green Dragon and good to see the young people employed there. Pubs are really important to our communities and it’s great to see a versatile, well-run, safe and comfortable pub that reaches out to lots of people in Croydon.”
Susan Quinn, the pub manager, said, “We were delighted that Sarah came to meet the team and see the transformation of our business. It was great to know that as our local MP she had visited the pub before, and that we are known as a safe and comfortable place to drink in Croydon.”
- BECOME AN INSIDE CROYDON SUPPORTER: For just £4 per month, you can support the local journalism that brings you Inside Croydon. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source, and still based in the heart of Croydon
- 1.4 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017
- “Monitored” by the council CEO since 2010
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS 2017: Inside Croydon was source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at email@example.com