Artist Holly Graham has been commissioned by housebuilders Barratts to create a piece of art to commemorate Cane Hill Hospital, the site on which their Cane Hill Park development has been built in Coulsdon.
Honouring the history of the clock tower that stood pride of place at Cane Hill Hospital, the art piece will take the form of a sundial which will be located in the centre of the 750-home development.
The work will build on research into the history of the site via the Museum of Croydon’s archive and discussions with local residents, students at Coulsdon College and artists at the Bethlem Gallery over a series of workshops.
“I think it’s really special to think that every place has a local solar time of its own, one that is generally flattened by Greenwich Mean Time and the averaging of standardised time zones,” Graham said.
“This new dial will aim to encourage consideration of time in its expanded sense – how we root ourselves in the present in relation to what’s gone before and what is yet to come, amidst changing winds and seasons.”
To create the artwork, Holly Graham has been working in partnership with local fabricators setWorks and Peter Ransom, the education advisor for the British Sundial Society and chair of the council for the Mathematical Association.
This has included holding a workshop at Coulsdon College with A-level Maths and Engineering pupils, engaging in the sundial-making process.
- Help support Inside Croydon’s award-winning, news-breaking journalism, and get money-off offers, exclusive content and priority booking for special events. Click here to find out more
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or what to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at email@example.com
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For three consecutive years, 2017, 2018 and 2019, Inside Croydon has been the source for award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by 721,000 unique visitors in 2019