Selco the builders’ merchants is to reopen its Imperial Way branch on Monday – but customers won’t be allowed inside the store. As part of the company’s social distancing precautions, the builders warehouse will take orders and arrange appointment slots for customers to collect their goods from the branch’s car park.
Selco shut down its 68 branches and all its delivery services when the country went into coronavirus lockdown at the end of March.
“It’s been an incredibly difficult period for the whole country and it’s been no different for us at Selco,” Howard Luft, Selco’s chief executive, said.
“Now everything is in place to enable us to offer our customers a revised service at Croydon to support the delivery of online orders, while closely following the social distancing guidelines. We introduced this at 42 of our branches last week and it has worked very successfully.
“We are fully aware our customers offer a vital service to the communities in which they operate, providing essential maintenance and repairs to properties, and we are delighted we can make at least part of our usual offering available.
“The health and wellbeing of our customers and colleagues remains our No1 priority.”
Opening hours at Selco, Croydon, will be 7am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. The branch will be closed at weekends.
Customer numbers will be managed through collection time slots to collect their orders, to ensure that social distancing can be maintained.
“We would urge only people who have pre-ordered products and materials to visit the Croydon branch – and then only at the time they have been allocated,” Luft added.
“We will constantly monitor operations in all of our branches and make adjustments as and where we see fit.”
- This piece of local news reporting was brought to you without a penny of subsidy from the BBC or any local councils. If you want to support independent local journalism in Croydon, please sign up today as a supporter. For just £4 per month, you qualify for special discounts and offers. Click here for more details
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or want to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and BBC London News
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: For three consecutive years, 2017, 2018 and 2019, Inside Croydon has been the source for award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- Inside Croydon had 1.6million pages viewed by 721,000 unique visitors in 2019