CROYDON COMMENTARY: Last week’s decisive vote for a new way of running the council should only be a first step, according to an open letter to all the borough’s councillors from Kenley resident BRIAN WATSON
Now that a directly elected mayor is going to replace the leader of the council – a decision made by residents right across the borough – isn’t it about time all Croydon’s councillors started to represent their residents by taking this crooked council and its officers to task?
Inside Croydon seems to be the only representation the residents can rely on.
Thankfully their exposures of this deceitful council and the outright misconduct of its officers still continues, as their latest news report about the planning director’s absurd behaviour demonstrates.
There is little point in my writing to the council’s chief executive, Katherine Kerswell, or the council leader, Hamida Ali, because if they don’t like what you say, they just do not respond.
So, I’ll make a plea to my local Councillors. It’s time for change. We want to read of resignations and firings, not more deceit and misconduct.
Croydon Commentary is a platform for all our readers to offer their personal views about what matters to them in and around the borough. To submit an article for publication, just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or post your comment to an Inside Croydon article that has caught your attention
- Inside Croydon depends on regular subscriptions from our readers to enable us to continue to deliver exclusive, headline-making and independent journalism – the sort of scrutiny that Croydon Council would prefer did not exist. Please sign up today as a subscriber. Click here
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or want to publicise your residents’ association or business, or if you have a local event to promote, please email us with full details at email@example.com
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon works together with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism, as well as BBC London News and ITV London
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS: Croydon was named the country’s rottenest borough in 2020 in the annual round-up of civic cock-ups in Private Eye magazine – the fourth successive year that Inside Croydon has been the source for such award-winning nominations
- Inside Croydon: 3million page views in 2020. Seen by 1.4million unique visitors