Site icon Inside Croydon

Rail investigation launched into schoolboy’s death at Kenley

The Rail Accident Investigation Branch has announced that it will conduct an investigation into the circumstances that led to the death of a Year 7 schoolboy who was hit by a train on a pedestrian footpath crossing in Kenley when on his way to school last month.

Fatal scene: the Bourne View level crossing. Some locals have said it is a danger to the public

The fatal incident happened just after 8am on January 23 at Bourne View footpath crossing, between Whyteleafe and Kenley.

The boy’s school, Riddlesdown Collegiate, has named him as Jaiden Shehata.

At the time, British Transport Police ruled the incident as “non-suspicious”.

According to the RAIB’s announcement, the train was travelling at about 50mph at the time of the accident.

Bourne View footpath crossing, the RAIB said, “provides access for pedestrians between two residential areas of Kenley. The crossing has gates on either side of the railway and is provided with signage which instructs users how to cross”.

RAIB’s investigation will cover “the factors which may have affected the decisions and actions of the child as they used the crossing”, any previous incidents at the Bourne View footpath crossing and “how these may be relevant to this accident”, and “the management of risk at this crossing and Network Rail’s wider strategy for assessing and mitigating risks at footpath crossings”.

A funeral for Jaiden Shehata has been arranged for February 25 at St Mary and St Shenouda Coptic Orthodox Church in Coulsdon.

Read more: Petition to close Kenley level crossing where schoolboy died



Inside Croydon – If you want real journalism, delivering real news, from a publication that is actually based in the borough, please consider paying for it. Sign up today: click here for more details



Exit mobile version