This news just in… There will be a murder in central Croydon this Thursday. And Friday. And Saturday.
And only Miss Marple will be able to determine whodunnit.
The much-acclaimed Croydon Operatic and Dramatic Association is staging its latest production, A Murder Is Announced, at the Ashcroft Theatre, in the Fairfield Halls from Thursday, July 5 to Saturday, July 7.
The play is a classic Agatha Christie murder mystery, set in a bygone era when the inhabitants of a rural English village still bothered to read their local newspaper. There in the small ads section was the announcement, “A murder is announced, and will take place on Friday the thirteenth at Little Paddocks at six thirty pm”.
CODA’s A Murder is Announced stars Alison Rich as Miss Marple, Sarah H Gordon as Miss Blacklock, Susie Timms as Dora Bunner and David Sanders as Inspector Craddock, with Paul Hudson as Patrick, Eve Simpson as Julia, Palak Bhatt as Mitzi, Anna Howard as Philippa, Maria Quinn as Mrs Swettenham, Owen Moore as Edmund, Chris Manley as Rudi Scherz and Peter Bramwell as Mellors. The production is directed by Peter Bramwell.
CODA was founded in 1943, and is Croydon’s leading community theatre company, performing up to four productions a year, of both musicals and plays, to a high standard. CODA brings A Murder Is Announced to the stage two years after their last Agatha Christie production in 2010, when And Then There Were None thrilled Croydon audiences.
Since, they have performed acclaimed versions of Noises Off, Disney’s Beauty and the Beast, The Graduate, Abigail’s Party and Fame the Musical, alongside concerts and Old Time Music Halls.
- A Murder Is Announced has performances at 7.45pm and matinees on Thursday and Saturday at 2.30pm.
- Tickets cost from £13 to £15 (with no additional booking fees), with concessions available, and may be booked at www.fairfield.co.uk, by calling 0208 688 9291 or in person at the Fairfield Halls box office. There are more details on CODA’s website at www.codashows.co.uk.
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, or information about a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bashford suspected of greedy grab for Stanhope’s £3.5m (insidecroydon.com)
- Croydon Council and the cuts: playing a numbers game (insidecroydon.com)