Croydon resident NEIL SPELLINGS is off on a challenge, looking to raise thousands of pounds for a very good cause
I am doing some work for a large financial institution in Docklands who are holding a banger rally to raise money for their “charity of the year”.
This year it’s Centrepoint UK who support young homeless people in Britain getting back into education and work. I’m participating along with around 40 other cars. So far we’ve collectively raised £48,000, with our team having raised just over £1,200.
The challenge is to purchase a car for less than £500 (ie a banger) and drive it to Milan solving challenges and collecting money along the way.
We will be departing London Docklands on the morning of October 26, then heading via Eurotunnel through France with an overnight stop-over in Dijon, arriving in Milan the following day after approx 850 miles.
We have around 20 challenges to solve on the way to make the journey more interesting, and we’re doing the entire trip in fancy dress (as Goldilocks and the three bears, hence the theme on the car).
Our aim is to raise £2,000 in total, with the grand target for all cars at £60,000.
- More details on the team can be found on our website http://www.bangers-n-smash.co.uk/ or you can follow us on Twitter @R354DGX
- If you would like to support us you can sponsor us online here http://www.justgiving.com/bangersnsmash or donate by SMS by sending a text starting “SMAS83” to 70070.
- The car itself was decorated by Graffitilife.co.uk who kindly donated their talents for free.
- Inside Croydon: For comment and analysis about Croydon, from inside Croydon
- Post your comments on this article below. If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at email@example.com
- UK News: Homeless ‘die 30 years younger’ (walesonline.co.uk)
- Rise in ‘slavery’ trafficking of homeless by gangs (guardian.co.uk)