Political Scrapbook has turned up another local Tory election video which makes no mention of the party that Andy Stranack is seeking election for in Croydon North on November 29. For this to happen once might be careless, but twice?
Inside Croydon reported yesterday how Stranack was portrayed as “some sort of latterday Mother Teresa in a hoodie” in its latest election video, which offers oral testimonies from a group of unidentified fans, but which somehow forgets to mention that he is a Conservative party candidate.
Political Scrapbook, the website which first highlighted the casual attitudes to racism among some of Croydon’s Conservatives, has found another Stranack election video that also fails to mention the toxic Tories.
Significantly, they also question whether the Conservative videos might break the rules on elections.
“Even the imprint — smallprint required by law declaring the promoter of election materials — gives the name of their candidate’s election agent rather than the Tories.
“‘Promoted by Ian Parker on behalf of the Andy Stranack, 161 Brigstock Road, Thornton Heath, CR7 7JP.’
“Contrast this with imprints for Corby:
“‘promoted by Matt Edmonds on behalf of the Corby and East Northamptonshire Conservatives’
“This puts a whole new meaning on the phrase ‘shy Tories’.”
Of course, Croydon Conservatives have some “form” in regard of playing fast and loose with election rules.
In 2010, Parker was the election agent for both Gavin Barwell in Croydon Central and Richard Ottaway, aka Lord Bletchingley, in Croydon South. Barwell is running Stranack’s election campaign this time.
At the 2010 General Election, Barwell and Ottaway were found to have broken rules on campaign expenses. Neither were punished, with Parker, the ward councillor for Coulsdon West, taking the rap, having to appear before a judge to be given a firm ticking off.
Well, that’s the justice system working well, then.
- Inside Croydon: For comment and analysis about Croydon, from inside Croydon
- Post your comments on this article below. If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at email@example.com
- UKIP’s Farage to campaign in Croydon against gay marriage (insidecroydon.com)
- Tory MP quits to open door for return of Boris (independent.co.uk)
- UKIP candidate McKenzie fails to deliver his own brothers (insidecroydon.com)