CROYDON’S UNCARING COUNCIL (part 94): Sara Bashford, the Croydon Councillor who has a “day job” as an employee in the constituency office of Gavin Barwell MP, has admitted that the government’s economic policies are failing.
In a bulletin issued in her role as a Croydon Cabinet member, Bashford says that, “It is now clear the effects of the economic downturn will be with us for years.”
Bashford paints a distinctly unpromising picture of Croydon under the ConDem government and the policies of Chancellor Gideon Osborne. “It has been estimated that, nationally, 500,000 people will be in food need by 2015,” Bashford writes.
Inside Croydon‘s loyal reader might understand this as meaning that people will become so poor, after having their benefits being cut by local politicians like the very well-paid Councillor Bashford (she receives more than £40,000 a year in council “allowances, on top of the salary from her “day job”), that half a million people will go starving unless the food banks manage to put a few cans on the table for their families.
If that is the case, Croydon’s Conservative councillors will have to be much more successful in their efforts to collect food aid.
- Croydon, Christmas 2012: Scrooge is in charge of the Town Hall
- TaxPayers’ Alliance say Fisher is “part of entitlement culture”
- Inside Croydon: For comment and analysis about Croydon, from inside Croydon
- Post your comments on this article below. If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at email@example.com
- Getting trollied: Croydon’s uncharitable councillors (insidecroydon.com)
- Flat ‘trashed’ as 300 people turn up for rave at luxury Croydon block (standard.co.uk)
- My blog’s moving to Croydon North (cllrstevereed.wordpress.com)
- Homelessness: the growing bed and breakfast crisis (guardian.co.uk)
- Legacy of the riots: Croydon abandoned by middle-class (standard.co.uk)