Local campaigner SARAH JONES on why the people of Croydon should join the Enough Food IF rally next week
There would be enough food for everyone…
• IF we stop poor farmers being forced off their land, and use land to grow food for people, not biofuels for cars
• IF governments keep their promises on aid, invest to stop children dying from malnutrition and help the poorest feed themselves through investment in small farmers
• IF governments stop big companies dodging tax in poor countries, so that millions of people can free themselves from hunger
• IF we force governments and investors to be honest and open about the deals they make in the poorest countries that stop people getting enough food.
The IF campaign has been created because the United Kingdom has the presidency of the G8 this year. The eight countries of the G8 – France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Britain, the United States, Canada and Russia – command more than 50 per cent of the world’s wealth and have huge power to wield. And they are all coming to Britain next week.
The time has come again for a fight to tackle global hunger.
The world produces enough food for everyone, but not everyone has enough food. A coalition of more than 200 organisations has come together as the Enough Food IF, to tackle the greatest scandal of our age.
And next Saturday, they are all coming together for one of the biggest rallies seen in London for many years.
When the G8 comes to London, the IF campaign will be meeting in Hyde Park on Saturday, June 8, from 2pm to 5pm.
You are invited.
The day promises something for everyone – a huge visual petition that you can help create, to represent the 2 million children who die of malnutrition every year; a line-up of inspiring speakers and performers from Bill Gates to Angelique Kidjo; a children’s area with professional story-tellers; food and interactive fun.
If enough people come together in Hyde Park to create a big noise about hunger, G8 leaders will have to sit up and listen.
- Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source that is actually based in the heart of the borough – 267,670 page views Nov 2012-Apr 2013
- Post your comments on this article below. If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org