In just nine months, 32 nations from all over the globe will gather in Brazil for the World Cup, and our local phoenix club, AFC Croydon Athletic, has teamed up with Kits4Causes to help charitable causes around the world.
Kits4Causes is an organisation that collects football and sports shirts and other equipment for charities to distribute through their projects around the world. AFC Croydon Athletic has joined forces to try to collect as many shirts (and other items) as possible during the forthcoming season.
“I am pleased we can support this work,” Paul Smith, the club chairman said. “We shall be collecting throughout the season. We have a few ideas about how we can try to maximise the number of shirts we can send off. I also hope that some other clubs in the league will donate some items too.”
Supporter Julian Chenery has backed Kits4Causes before and it is through him that the club has decided to sign up for the season ahead.
“Any sporting shirts are welcome, not just football,” Chenery said. “I am sure there are plenty of old shirts out there in the bottom of wardrobes that people will be happy to donate.”
If anyone wishes to donate a shirt they can do so by bringing them along on matchday or by emailing the club at firstname.lastname@example.org and arrangements can be made for collection.
Athletic’s first match of the season in division one of the Combined Counties League is this Saturday, at Croydon Arena against Bedfont and Feltham.
Rams manager Antony Williams has signed three players this week to bolster his squad. Former Whyteleafe, Merstham and Chipstead left back, Chris Head has committed to the club having played in several of the friendlies in the pre-season. Head, 28, has plenty of experience to add to the Rams back line.
Danny Arkwright brings not only experience but also height. The 6ft 5in tall centre half is a presence in the air both at the back and at set pieces and the 36-year-old can count Whyteleafe, Corinthian-Casuals and Sutton United among his previous clubs.
Returning to the Rams is Jordan Martin who made seven appearances last season.
- Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source that is actually based in the heart of the borough – 267,670 page views Nov 2012-Apr 2013
- Post your comments on this article below
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at email@example.com
- Riesco objections: Croydon Council’s squandering our heritage (insidecroydon.com)
- Coulsdon residents complain over dangers of CURV scheme (insidecroydon.com)
- Should museums ever sell off their prize pieces? (telegraph.co.uk)