Some people must like them – the houses dressed in exterior lights as if they are a Christmas tree.
And at Pinewood Close in Shirley, they even use their festive light displays to raise money for charity.
Despite the rotten pre-Christmas weather, visitor numbers to the well-lit residential street are as high as ever.
The spectacular evening “show” is popular with visiting families with young children and excellent entertainment for families coping with austerity at Christmas 2013. The younger ones love the animated reindeer and Father Christmases.
Collections for charity in the close just off Shirley Church Road go to children’s charities the Starlight Children’s Foundation and the Great Ormond Street Hospital.
Coming to Croydon
- STDLCC Screening: Now You See Me, Dec 27
- STDLCC Screening: Kolya, Dec 30
- Norwood Society talk, Upper Norwood Library, Jan 16
- Steve Knightly at Stanley Halls: Feb 5
- Purley Swimathon: Feb 8 and 13
- Norwood Society talk, Upper Norwood Library, Feb 20
- Norwood Society talk, Upper Norwood Library, Mar 20
- Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough – 262,183 page views (Jan-Jun 2013)
- Post your comments on this article below.
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org