Croydon Roller Derby is getting ready for its 2014 season, and is appealing for “fresh meat” – new skaters who want to try out for the hurly burly of the rapidly growing, Rollerball-style sport.
Trials are being held from 3pm this Sunday, January 19, at the Pulse health and fitness centre in Carshalton.
Croydon Roller Derby spent most of 2013 in the top 30 of the European roller derby rankings and was beaten only once all year against all-female teams.
“We’ve now got two strong and established teams and 2014 is looking like a real belter for fixtures,” they said.
“We’ll be hosting a try-out session for those interested in taking up the intense sport of Roller Derby. Or if you’re already a league member and need to transfer due to relocation. Where possible, we’re looking for skaters with some skating experience to ensure you’re pick up the assessable skills for roller derby.”
CRD list the essential skills for roller derby as:
- Confident skater
- Able to accelerate
- Stopping skills
- Able to turn on your skates with some confidence
“Desirable but not essential” is the ability to skate backwards.
Some kit will be provided for those that need it at the trials.
If you need any more information or would like to know more get in touch here or via email@example.com
Coming to Croydon
- Croydon Ramblers, Chelsham walk, Jan 19
- STDLCC Screening: The East, Jan 20
- STDLCC Screening: Winter Nomads, Jan 27
- Coulsdon and Purley Debating Society, Feb 3
- Babylon at the Spread Eagle Theatre, Feb 4-6
- Steve Knightly at Stanley Halls: Feb 5
- Purley Swimathon: Feb 8 and 13
- Mark Steel at Ashcroft Theatre, Feb 12
- Norwood Society talk, Upper Norwood Library, Feb 20
- Mr Pooter comes to Croydon, Feb 20-22
- Stop the Incinerator fund-raiser, Feb 24
- Coulsdon and Purley Debating Society, Mar 3
- Norwood Society talk, Upper Norwood Library, Mar 20
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org