Broad Green councillor Manju Shahul Hameed is to be nominated to be the next Mayor of Croydon by the Labour group at Monday’s council meeting.
The appointment of the borough mayor is made by a committee on which Conservatives have a majority, so that the formal nomination is likely to be a Tory.
But with council elections just four months away, the local Labour group has agreed unanimously to put forward Hameed, who has been a councillor since 2006 and was their education spokesperson from 2009 to 2011.
“If Labour is successful in this year’s council elections, Manju will be our choice for civic mayor,” said Tony Newman, the leader of the Labour group at the Town Hall. “I know she will make a wonderful ambassador for our town.
“Manju already has a well-earned reputation as one of Croydon’s true community councillors and she will bring that passion and commitment to the role of mayor, right across Croydon.”
Hameed said: “This is a real honour for both myself and my family. As a Broad Green councillor, I have always looked to give a voice to the community. As mayor, I will do so for all of Croydon.
“I am also committed to Labour’s plans to make Town Hall meetings more democratic and transparent, including the webcasting of council meetings and more opportunities for the public to question the politicians.”
Coming to Croydon
- Edward Keszkiewicz art exhibition, Jan 21-Feb 1
- Cronx Brewery open day, Jan 25
- Holocaust Memorial concert, Jan 25
- STDLCC Screening: Winter Nomads, Jan 27
- Give and Take Day, Surrey Street, Feb 1
- Renaming ceremony for Lake Conan Doyle, Feb 1
- Coulsdon and Purley Debating Society, Feb 3
- Babylon at the Spread Eagle Theatre, Feb 4-6
- Steve Knightly at Stanley Halls: Feb 5
- Purley Swimathon: Feb 8 and 13
- Mark Steel at Ashcroft Theatre, Feb 12
- Norwood Society talk, Upper Norwood Library, Feb 20
- Mr Pooter comes to Croydon, Feb 20-22
- Stop the Incinerator fund-raiser, Feb 24
- Coulsdon and Purley Debating Society, Mar 3
- Norwood Society talk, Upper Norwood Library, Mar 20
- Croydon Half-marathon, Mar 30
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at email@example.com