Inside Croydon’s loyal reader Phil Cox and a friend will be attending The Diary of a Nobody this week, courtesy of the Spread Eagle Theatre, after winning our latest reader competition.
The email inbox at iC received several service warnings regarding high volumes of incoming mail, as the site’s vast readership competed for the tickets.
Cox was the lucky winner, after correctly answering our question: BBC television recently broadcast its own series based on A Diary of a Nobody. What connects that with the 2012 London Olympics and Downton Abbey?
The answer is Hugh Bonneville, who played Mr Pooter in the BBC’s recent TV adaptation of the Grossmiths’ Diary of a Nobody, and who starred in Downton Abbey and the Olympic satire, Twenty Twelve.
The production of The Diary of a Nobody at the Spread Eagle is based on the English comic novel written by the brothers George and Weedon Grossmith. It originated as an intermittent serial in Punch in 1888 and first appeared in book form a few years later.
This theatre adaptation is by the FRED theatre company’s writer in residence, Jonathan ap Emrys. Following a successful opening night last month at the Spread Eagle’s sister venue, The Old Joint Stock Theatre in Birmingham, Emery’s exciting adaptation received a great audience reception and a 4.5 star review from Selwyn Knight of thepublicreviews.com:
“Nearly two hours of performance positively fly by, the whole being very enjoyable and bringing wry smiles and chuckles of recognition throughout the audience, especially in the mutual incomprehension and generation gap Pooter and Lupin struggle to overcome.
“This adaptation certainly stands up to scrutiny and comes highly recommended.”
Coming to Croydon
- Chinese New Year children’s event, Upper Norwood Library, Feb 18
- This War! St Gertrude’s Theatre group, Feb 19-22
- Welsh myths children’s event, Upper Norwood Library, Feb 20
- Norwood Society talk, Upper Norwood Library, Feb 20
- Mr Pooter comes to Croydon, Feb 20-22
- Warm and Well event, Upper Norwood Library, Feb 22
- Stop the Incinerator fund-raiser, Feb 24
- Fairtrade Film night, Antenna Cafe, Haynes Lane, Feb 27
- Fairtrade event, Upper Norwood Library, Mar 1
- Coulsdon and Purley Debating Society, Mar 3
- Patchwork and quilting workshop, Upper Norwood Library, Mar 3
- Fairtrade stall at Food Market, Haynes Lane, Mar 8
- Upper Norwood Library Book Club, Mar 15
- Norwood Society talk, Upper Norwood Library, Mar 20
- Croydon Half-marathon, Mar 30
If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at email@example.com