It must be tough, getting by on the miserable 66 grand salary as a Tory backbencher in the House of Commons.
In our picture, poor old “Sir” Tricky Dicky Ottaway, the hard-working Conservative MP for Croydon South, appears to be asleep, or just bored, as he endures one of his colleagues’ speeches in the House.
Our caption competition is open exclusively to those who actually went out in May 2010 and voted for Ottaway, despite the evidence collected about him in the Telegraph’s MPs expenses scandal.
Is “Sir” Tricky…
(a) dreaming of his next sailing holiday?
(b) thinking that he needs to buy another “special” £2,000 bed from Harrod’s on expenses, because the current one clearly isn’t comfortable enough to get a good night’s sleep?
(c) wondering what needs doing at public expense in the gardens of his country home in Bletchingley?
(d) having a nightmare about 81-year-old pensioner anarchists attacking him in his constituency office? Or
(e) All of the above?
Answers, by email only please, to email@example.com, with the words “WAKEY WAKEY!” in the subject field.
- Right? Honourable? Ottaway’s expenses easily forgotten
- Arise Sir Tricky Dicky Ottaway – Croydon’s dark knight
- I might have been murdered, claims Croydon MP Ottaway
Coming to Croydon
- Fairtrade Film night, Antenna Cafe, Haynes Lane, Feb 27
- Fairtrade event, Upper Norwood Library, Mar 1
- St David’s Day quiz night, Ruskin House, Mar 1
- Coulsdon and Purley Debating Society, Mar 3
- Patchwork and quilting workshop, Upper Norwood Library, Mar 3
- Fairtrade stall at Food Market, Haynes Lane, Mar 8
- Upper Norwood Library Book Club, Mar 15
- Norwood Society talk, Upper Norwood Library, Mar 20
- South Norwood Lakes Playground group workshop, Mar 25
- David Lean Cinema: Basically Johnny Moped, Mar 27-28
- Croydon Half-marathon, Mar 30
- David Lean Cinema: 12 Years a Slave, Apr 3
- David Lean Cinema: The Great Beauty, Apr 10
- David Lean Cinema: Inside Llewyn Davis, Apr 17
- David Lean Cinema: Short Term, Apr 24
- Crystal Palace Overground Festival, June 26-29
Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough: 516,649 page views (Jan-Dec 2013)
If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org