“Mum! Mum! It’s just like giant marbles!”
Giant Marbles is the Friends of Marlpit Lane Bowling Green’s family lawn bowls club in Coulsdon Memorial Ground which is open to families and children who want to try the game.
Since it was re-opened by volunteers, the Coulsdon Memorial Ground green has introduced a large number of younger bowlers to lawn bowls, including visits by the Scouts and Beavers. While bowling may have the image of being a game for older players, anyone can play. Many children are pleased to learn this is a game where – with the right equipment – they can take on their parents on equal terms.
Open to all experience levels, the club provides all the equipment needed and coaching, including specialist Junior Ace bowls to allow bowling for children aged eight and up, and sometimes younger. We also have a set of bowls for newer players who want to try actual tournament-grade lawn bowls.
Bowling mats, scorecards, and tuition are all provided.
All players need to bring are themselves, wearing shoes that are, in the words of the FMLBG greenkeeper “not too knobbly”.
The club will run every Wednesday from 3pm onwards throughout summer, providing a regular after-school activity. Players can turn up and join in at any point after 3pm to allow for different school leaving times. Once the school holidays begin, it will continue each afternoon during summer at the same times. Children must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
Coming to Croydon
- Lakes Playground Action Group fun day, June 14
- Croydon Green Fair, North End, June 14
- Elm Tree Cottage garden open day, June 15
- Norwood Society Talk: The Concrete Church, June 19
- David Lean Cinema: Suzanne, June 19
- Airport House swing dance free event, June 21
- Classic Car Show at Purley Rotary Fields, June 22
- David Lean Cinema: Feet from Stardom, June 23
- Crystal Palace Overground Festival, June 26-29
- David Lean Cinema: The Lunchbox, June 26
- Warnings to the Curious, Spread Eagle Theatre, June 27
- St Peter’s Village Fayre, South Croydon, June 28
- South Norwood Allotments open day, June 28
- Fragile, Spread Eagle Theatre, July 24-26
- Coast to Capital business briefing, July 4
- CODA’s Midsummer Night’s Dream at Wandle Park, Jul 30-Aug 2
- Elm Tree Cottage garden open day, Aug 10
- Norwood Society Talk: War Memorials, Sep 18
- Norwood Society Talk: From Fire Station to Theatre, Oct 16
- Norwood Society Talk: Lambeth’s Archives, Nov 20
Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough: 72,342 average monthly page views (Jan-Mar 2014)
If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at email@example.com