AND THE FIGHT GOES ON: The legal battle against the Viridor-operated waste incinerator to be built at Beddington took another step this week when the Stop the Incinerator Campaign lodged permission to appeal.
The Stop the Incinerator Campaign had their arguments rejected at the Judicial Review stage earlier this month. Now the grounds for appealing lie in the judge’s approach to the waste policies governing the use of the Beddington site and the assessment of whether very special circumstances exist to justify the harm caused by the proposed development. The Court of Appeal will decide whether to grant permission to appeal, a process which will most likely take several weeks.
“I met with residents, conservationists and the Beddington Farmlands Bird Group on Tuesday,” said Shasha Khan, the Green Party activist who has been a leading figure in the legal battle.
“Those present encouraged me to fight on and apply directly to the Court of Appeal. It was something I was actually quite keen to do.”
Khan and the campaigners have taken the conduct of their case to Richard Buxton Environmental and Public Law, as the previous legal firm handling the case because of tight deadlines for submissions. “Naturally, to continue, funds are needed to keep the fight going, and I hope I can count on supporters to donate to the campaign once again,” Khan said.
Sue Willman, the solicitor who had previously represented Khan and the campaign, said that, “This case proves that there is no level playing field for access to justice in environmental cases.” At the Judicial Review, the campaigners were taking on the expensively hired QCs paid by Viridor and, using Council Tax-payers’ money, Sutton Council, the local planning authority.
“It has been a difficult journey to get to this stage but the issues at stake warrant the continued efforts,” Adrienne Copithorne, a partner at Richard Buxton, said. “We admire Mr Khan’s tenacity and that of his supporters.”
Meanwhile, the Labour group which controls Croydon Council and which campaigned for five years to oppose the incinerator, remains silent on the issue and has taken no action to halt the development.
- To make a donation towards the legal fighting fund, visit this website http://www.gofundme.com/stoptheincinerator. Donations direct to the bank account are preferred to avoid paying commissions to third parties
- Click here for sight of the Viridor contract with Croydon Council
- “Cleaner, Greener Croydon”? Really? While paying to burn waste?
- Visit the campaign website here
- Read Inside Croydon’s archive of articles about the environmental catastrophe that is the Beddington incinerator by clicking here
Coming to Croydon
- Ghost Stories for Christmas, Spread Eagle Theatre, Dec 3
- David Lean Cinema, The Riot Club, Dec 4
- St Andrew’s churchyard gardening session, 10am, Dec 6
- Fog Horn Funnies, Spread Eagle Theatre, Dec 6
- Croydon Philharmonic Handel’s Messiah, Fairfield Halls, Dec 6
- Coulsdon Yulefest, Dec 6-7
- Heathfield House Christmas charity bazaar, Dec 7
- Oval Tavern Folk Club, Dec 7
- St Andrew’s Church community choir service, Dec 10
- David Lean Cinema, ’71, Dec 11
- Mayor of Croydon’s charity Christmas dinner, Dec 12
- South Croydon business breakfast, Dec 13
- Concert of Christmas music, St Luke’s, Woodside, Dec 13
- Opera Soiree at Whitgift School, Dec 14
- Friends of the Earth Green Beanfeast, Dec 15 (book by Dec 1)
- Croydon Philharmonic Christmas concert, St Matthew’s, Dec 16
- Norwood Society talk: Penge, the making of a suburb, Jan 15
- David Lean Cinema, Northern Soul, Dec 18
- David Lean Cinema, Hitchcock’s To Catch A Thief, Dec 29
- David Lean Cinema, The Beat Beneath My Feet, Dec 30
- South Croydon business breakfast, Jan 24
- Norwood Society talk: Crystal Palace and Dulwich, Feb 19
- Norwood Society talk: Charlies Dickens in Norwood, Mar 19
- Norwood Society: Balloons and airships at Crystal Palace, Apr 16
Inside Croydon: Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough: 407,847 page views (Jan-Jun 2014) If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at email@example.com