The charity Child Aid Lanka is staging a Question Time event in Thornton Heath next Thursday, January 15, with an impressive panel of guests, including Dominic Grieve MP, the Tories’ former attorney general, Suzanne Evans, the deputy chairman of UKIP, the LibDem’s Tom Brake MP, Tom Drake of charity WaterAid, and the MP for Lambeth South, Steve Reed OBE.
The focus of the debate – being held at St Paul’s Church Hall, St Paul’s Road, in an area of Croydon with an active Tamil community – will be foreign aid, and how it may be affected by any changes to government policy by the General Election outcome.
“Child Aid Lanka is a small charity which has already been affected by changes to Government policy, so we are very interested in what each party has to say on their foreign aid policies,” the organisers said.
“But our theme will have a wider response from the panelists given the government cuts to the benefits system and government spending which has particularly affected the poor in the UK.”
They expect to have a very full house, so please book your tickets promptly to avoid disappointment.
The event will be recorded for broadcasting; by attending, you accept being included in the broadcast.
There is no charge for attending the event, but the organisers will be asking for donations to their work in Sri Lanka. “Just £2 will buy a brick to help us give fresh clean water to more families and if everyone donates just £10 each, this will enable us to fund a complete additional well.”
Guests must arrive by 7.30pm for a 7.40pm prompt start.
- Book your tickets now to avoid disappointment and submit any question(s) you may have at firstname.lastname@example.org
Coming to Croydon
- Stop the Incinerator Public Meeting, Green Dragon, Jan 10
- David Lean Cinema, Leviathan, Jan 13
- Eagle Improv, Spread Eagle Theatre, Jan 14
- Norwood Society talk: Penge, the making of a suburb, Jan 15
- David Lean Cinema, The 78 Project Movie, Jan 15
- David Lean Cinema, Hannah Arendt, Jan 20
- David Lean Cinema, The Imitation Game, Jan 22
- South Croydon business breakfast, Jan 24
- David Lean Cinema, Night Will Fall, Jan 27 (Holocaust Memorial Day)
- David Lean Cinema, Kon-Tiki, Jan 29
- Soul Symphony Community Choir taster session, Feb 3
- Eagle Improv, Spread Eagle Theatre, Feb 4
- Tales of Love, Lost and Found, Spread Eagle Theatre, Feb 7
- Uninvited Guests, Spread Eagle Theatre, Feb 11-13
- Norwood Society talk: Crystal Palace and Dulwich, Feb 19
- Rosie Wilby, Spread Eagle Theatre, Feb 27
- Amy Wadge and Luke Jackson, Stanley Halls, Feb 28
- Holmes Alone, Spread Eagle Theatre, Mar 6
- Eagle Improv, Spread Eagle Theatre, Mar 11
- Iain Lee, Spread Eagle Theatre, Mar 14
- Norwood Society talk: Charlies Dickens in Norwood, Mar 19
- Eagle Improv, Spread Eagle Theatre, Apr 8
- Anatomy of the Piano, Spread Eagle Theatre, Apr 15
- Patrick Monahan, Spread Eagle Theatre, Apr 16-17
- Norwood Society: Balloons and airships at Crystal Palace, Apr 16
- South Norwood Community Festival, July 5
Inside Croydon: Named among regional media campaigns for 2014.
- Croydon’s only independent news source, based in the heart of the borough: 729,297 page views in 2014.
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or local event, please email us with full details at email@example.com