Superdrug has this week moved into a new head office close to East Croydon Station, without a penny of assistance from the local council, and with a refreshingly frank attitude to reasons behind chosing its location: “Our old offices at Beddington Lane were just old and we needed to modernise,” a spokesperson said. “We wanted to stay close to Croydon, because we like Croydon.”
None of the usual PR bullshit there.
Superdrug’s offices, at 51 Sydenham Road, will accommodate 500 staff, though the company is recruiting for more.
The new 55,000 sq ft building, spread over six floors, “will support both the current and future growth of Superdrug’s business,” a company statement said.
“After almost 40 years based at Beddington Lane this is a huge move for the business,” said Jo Mackie, a company director.
“This move will allow us to give our stores and customers the support they need to ensure we continue to grow and continue to offer the best health and beauty experience on the high street and online.
“We’re delighted that, with such heritage in the area, we are staying in Croydon and are part of such an exciting regeneration programme. With great transport links and local facilities we are all incredibly excited to be planning the next stage in Superdrug’s history.”
Superdrug head office in numbers
• 55,000 sq ft office over five floors
• 40,000 individual carpet tiles
• 30,138 sq ft plasterboard
• 2,900 sq ft of branded acoustic panels – bigger than Wimbledon Centre Court
• 550 sq ft ‘mock’ high-street shop
• 500 colleague lockers
• 16-week refurbishment
• 10ft laser-cut metal Superdrug logo
• 9 tea points
• 5 miles of electrical cable – almost the distance to the old Beddington Lane office and back
• 1 wellness clinic for colleagues
• 1 nail bar and brow bar for colleagues
Superdrug is recruiting staff to join the business. Those interested in head office roles should visit www.superdrug.jobs.
- Inside Croydon is Croydon’s only independent news source, still based in the heart of the borough. In 2016, we averaged 17,000 page views every week
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org