Less than 18 months since there was traffic gridlock in the town centre because of the closure of the Croydon Underpass, and the council has announced another set of works which will see the road linking Wellesley Road and Park Lane closed for a week.
The emergency closure in July 2016 occurred after a 16-metre-long “void” opened up in the fabric of the road surface, requiring immediate repairs.
This time around, the council is planning “routine maintenance work”, which will necessitate carriageway closures overnight, starting from Monday.
This includes the cleaning of the tiled walls and inspection work to deal with a rainwater leak. Previous scheduled works have rarely been completed within the originally planned timetable.
The Underpass’s southbound carriageway will be closed between 9pm and 5am from Monday November 13 to Wednesday November 15.
The northbound carriageway will be closed between 9pm and 5am from Thursday November 16 to Saturday November 18.
“We’re doing our best to minimise the pain by closing only one carriageway at a time, and carrying out the works overnight, meaning normal daytime use won’t be affected,” said a typically optimistic Stuart King, the council cabinet member for roads.
- BECOME AN iC SUPPORTER: For the cost of one over-priced coffee each month, you can support the local journalism that brings you Inside Croydon. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source, and still based in the heart of Croydon
- 1 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017 (January to September)
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org