Croydon residents are invited to a public exhibition tomorrow on a new firefighter training centre at Croydon Fire Station, off Roman Way.
London Fire Brigade’s exhibition will show proposals to redevelop the training centre at the station, to include a six-storey fire tower – or Real Fire Training Venue (RFTV) – where firefighters from across London and from other services can be taught techniques for safely navigating blazes in towers. The centre will be one of only three in the Greater London area, its importance emphasised since the Grenfell Tower tragedy in the summer.
The exhibition will take place at Croydon Fire Station tomorrow, November 23, from 3pm to 8pm, and Saturday November 25, from 10am to 3pm.
The proposed training centre will be based in the northern part of the current fire station site and will include classrooms and simulation training spaces. The LFB says that the fire tower “will incorporate specialist smoke cleaning equipment so there’s no adverse impact on air quality”.
Local Waddon councillors recently visited a similar facility to see it in operation, after previously expressing reservations because of Croydon fire station’s close proximity to a Old Town housing estate and almshouses, home to dozens of elderly people.
“The Brigade’s plans for the site are part of its objective to enhance the skills of its firefighters, and provide realistic and modern training in south London. The venue aims to complement the existing training facilities owned by trainer provider Babcock in Beckton in east London and Park Royal in north west London,” a statement from the LFB said.
- BECOME AN iC SUPPORTER: For the cost of one over-priced coffee each month, you can support the local journalism that brings you Inside Croydon. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source, and still based in the heart of Croydon
- 1 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017 (January to September)
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org