Commuters on the 09.24 Caterham to Victoria, stopping at Purley, South Croydon and East Croydon along the way, won’t need telling this, and probably would rather not be reminded of this, either, but they are officially enduring the worst train service in the country.
In 2017, that train service was late 240 times.
In the month of October, the 09.24 was late on every day except one – and then it was cancelled.
In fact, according to research by the Daily Mirror, Govia Thameslink, who operate Southern Rail through East Croydon, had three of the 10 worst “services” in Britain. Last week, rail fares went up 3.4 per cent – the biggest price rise in five years. Labour wants to renationalise the rail franchises, such as Southern.
- For less than the cost of one over-priced coffee each month, you can support the local journalism that brings you Inside Croydon, and get a range of benefits and exclusive offers. Click here to sign-up as a donor
The 09.24 is meant to complete its journey in 52 minutes, arriving in centra lLondon at 10.16, after stops at Whyteleafe South, Whyteleafe, Kenley, Purley, Purley Oaks, South Croydon, East Croydon, Selhurst, Thornton Heath, Norbury, Streatham Common, Balham, Wandsworth Common, Clapham Junction and Battersea Park.
Another Southern service, the 17:28 Brighton to Victoria, was reckoned to be the third worst journey in the country, with 238 late arrivals.
Well worth £1,592… the price since Tuesday of the cheapest annual season ticket for the East Croydon to Victoria journey.
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source, and still based in the heart of Croydon
- 1 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017 (January to September)
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at email@example.com