RUGBY ROUND-UP: A World Cup-winning captain is coming to Thornton Heath next week to help Croydon’s up-and-coming young players.
Katy Daley-McLean led England to women’s Rugby World Cup glory in 2014, played at the 2016 Rio Olympics, and was a key figure in the side which made it to last year’s World Cup final, too.
She’ll be passing on some of her skills, experience and wisdom at a beginners’ rugby session at Streatham-Croydon RFC’s Frant Road ground next Tuesday evening, January 16.
Having scored more than 400 points in international rugby and amassed nearly 100 caps, Daley-McLean is one of the game’s all-time greats.
And this week, Streatham-Croydon women’s rugby team said, “We are excited to be hosting the World Cup star at an Inner Warrior introduction to beginners rugby session, which is commitment-free and fun.
“The Rugby Football Union has launched the ‘Meet Your Inner Warrior’ campaign, aimed at encouraging more women and girls to take up contact rugby.
“As part of the campaign, hundred Warrior Camps will take place in rugby clubs across the country, offering fun rugby tasters.”
The Thornton Heath session takes place on Tuesday January 16 at 7.30pm-9pm, at 159 Brigstock Road. There is a car park on Frant Road and changing rooms.
“Bring comfy, warm clothes that you don’t mind getting muddy,” the club says to those who want to come along to the free session.
Club rugby fixtures resume tomorrow, January 13, after the Christmas break, with the local highlight game surely that at Lime Meadow Avenue, where Old Mid-Whitgiftians take on Old Whitgiftians is a top-of-the-table Surrey 1 clash.
At Hamsey Green, the area’s top club, Warlingham, resume their season with a home match against Old Tiffinians, where they will be bidding for a fourth successive win in London 3SW.
Spectators are welcome at both games, entry is free, and the club bars will be open…
For more on the local club rugby scene, check out our latest round-up, here.
Contact your local rugby clubs here:
- Old Mid-Whitgiftians
- Old Walcountians
- Old Whitgiftians
- Purley John Fisher
- BECOME AN iC SUPPORTER: For the cost of one over-priced coffee each month, you can support the local journalism that brings you Inside Croydon. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source, and still based in the heart of Croydon
- 1 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017 (January to September)
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org