With less than a week to go, there’s just a few tickets remaining for the first Talking Inside Croydon event of 2018, when transport expert Christian Wolmar will be discussing his latest book, Railways & The Raj, and taking questions from the audience.
The event represents one of the benefits of becoming a supporter of this website, as Inside Croydon patrons can attend free of charge.
In between writing columns for specialist magazines and national newspapers, and appearing on TV and radio, Wolmar has written more than a dozen books, including Are Trams Socialist? – so its certain that his Talking Inside Croydon session, with questions afterwards, will be have some more local interest.
Railways & The Raj was published in December. In his expertly told history, Wolmar reveals the full story of India’s railways, from its very beginnings to the present day, and examines the chequered role they have played in Indian history and the creation of today’s modern state.
Copies of the book, and other Wolmar-written titles, will be available to buy on the night, and the author might even sign some.
The event is being staged on Wednesday, February 7, doors opening at 7pm at St Andrew’s Church hall, Southbridge Road, South Croydon.
To cover our costs of hall hire and your tea and biscuits, we will be charging attendees £5 each.
But entry will be free for fully paid-up Inside Croydon supporters.
Talking Inside Croydon events are intended to provide a unique, sometimes serious, often off-beat and eclectic set of talks by experts, authors and novelists about their work, and the news and the issues of the day.
Booking is essential, for patrons and non-patrons alike, as space is limited, so make sure you book yours as soon as possible.
- Talking Inside Croydon with Christian Wolmar.
- At St Andrew’s Church, Southbridge Road, CR0 1AG on Wednesday, February 7, doors open 7pm.
- Cost: £5 per person, payable on the night (cash only), or free for Inside Croydon patrons.
- There will be an opportunity at the event to buy signed copies of Christian Wolmar’s books.
To apply for your place (or places) please email firstname.lastname@example.org and write “Wolmar February 7” in the subject field, and include your name and daytime contact phone number in the body of the email, together with the number of places you require (and the names of all attendees).
If you have a question to ask in the Q&A after the talk, please include it in your email.
All details may be subject to change.
The organisers reserve all rights, and booking terms and conditions apply. By booking a place at Talking Inside Croydon, a reader agrees that they will comply with these terms and conditions. Any refusal to act in accordance with these terms and conditions may lead to refusal of entry or removal from the event
- BECOME AN INSIDE CROYDON SUPPORTER: For the cost of one over-priced coffee each month, you can support the local journalism that brings you Inside Croydon. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source, and still based in the heart of Croydon
- 1 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017 (January to September)
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS 2017: Inside Croydon was source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- “Excellent scandal-digging”: Patrick Kidd, The Times political diary columnist
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at email@example.com