The Phantom Pizza Flinger of Old Coulsdon has been caught, and fined.
Last month, Inside Croydon was first to report the strange turn of events by Bradmore Green Pond, where stale pizza bases were being dumped on an almost nightly basis. The discarded food was so past its eat-by date and mouldy, even the local foxes turned their noses up at it.
It took community-minded locals to clear up the mess caused.
Last week, someone was caught in the act and he and his vehicle photographed, the images being placed on social media and forwarded to the police in East Coulsdon. They referred the matter to the council.
And last night, Chris McEvoy, the council’s environmental enforcement manager, announced that one of his staff had nabbed the pizza pest.
“Tonight NSO Mason issued the person an £80 FPN…”, that’s a fixed penalty notice, “… for the littering offence. Dropping food is still litter!”
Whether that is an end to the matter is uncertain.
It is understood that the Phantom Pizza Flinger is an employee at one of Coulsdon’s takeaways. If a local business is regularly offending in this matter, some residents suggest that action should be taken against them, while others have also suggested a boycott of the restaurant.
- BECOME AN INSIDE CROYDON SUPPORTER: For the cost of one over-priced coffee each month, you can support the local journalism that brings you Inside Croydon. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source, and still based in the heart of Croydon
- 1 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017 (January to September)
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS 2017: Inside Croydon was source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at email@example.com