The Crystal Palace Festival returns in June with one of the biggest free cultural events in south London.
Festival events will take place across the Crystal Palace area from June 11 to 17 with the free Crystal Palace park event taking place on June 16. This Grade II-listed heritage park has been the scene of many a free concert, and the bowl has a long history of notable gigs from 1967, when Pink Floyd performed there, all the way through to Bob Marley in 1980 and 1990 with The Cure and Pixies.
With 28,500 visitors to the 2017 event in the park, organisers are expecting even bigger crowds this year as they return with a fantastic line up of music, spoken word, theatre, visual arts, family and community activities and of course amazing food and drink.
The headline act on June 16 will be Stereo MC’s and Polarbear. The whole park programme will be announced next month.
Festival director Noreen Meehan said, “2017 was an amazing year for us with the line up and the move to Crystal Palace Park proving so popular. We are looking to build on that success so we have been working on hard on creating some new content for our lovely audience to enjoy.
“For example the Village Green will feature all that’s amazing about our very active community with fantastic choirs and bands from the Crystal Palace area, dance workshops, our Think Pawsitive Dog Show and much more from our great community groups.”
The week-long festival includes mainly free events organised by local traders, pubs, community groups, schools and churches. The festival’s outreach and participatory arts work has been made possible by funding from Arts Council England, Croydon Council and Bromley Council.
Projects include an intergenerational dance piece that will culminate in a promenade performance in the park, and concerts by the London Mozart Players in local care homes, the park children’s farm and Crystal Palace railway station.
You can sign up for programme updates now at the website crystalpalacefestival.org.
- BECOME AN INSIDE CROYDON SUPPORTER: For just £4 per month, you can support the local journalism that brings you Inside Croydon. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source, and still based in the heart of Croydon
- 1.4 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017
- “Monitored” by the council CEO since 2010
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS 2017: Inside Croydon was source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org