Mozart opera is coming to South Croydon next month.
Pop-Up Opera is staging a double bill with two one-act comedies showcasing Mozart’s inimitable style and sense of playfulness. Each performance is skilfully adapted to its venue as Pop-Up take their operas into unusual and unique spaces around the country, making them fun, fresh and intimate.
The Croydon performance will be at St Andrew’s Church on Southbridge Road on May 17, as part of the Croydonites Festival.
The church has recently undergone a major refurbishment, which allows the main part of the building is suitable to be used as a theatrical auditorium. Since the parish vicar left last year, a group of locals is managing the venue for a range of events, from Bulgarian dance classes to talks on ornithology.
But this will be the first opera performance.
The first opera Der Schauspieldirektor was written in the last five years of his life, while Mozart composed Bastien und Bastienne when he was just 12 years old.
Pop-Up Opera’s 2018 summer season sees a collaboration with New British Music Theatre Award nominee Anna Pool, who has been critically acclaimed for her original directing style, working alongside the company’s musical director, Berrak Dyer.
“It’s so exciting to get to work with Mozart at two key moments in his career; one as the child prodigy, right at the start of it all, and the other as the genius in one of his most creative periods,” Anna Pool said.
“His world is vivid, funny, ridiculous and still, over 200 years later, utterly relatable. Lovers fight, pine, manipulate. Artists argue, create and constantly battle against an ever-rising tide of funding cuts.
“I’m really enjoying exploring the characters that sprang from Mozart’s head and allowing them to make their home in so many fantastic spaces is hugely rewarding.”
The performance lasts two hours, with an interval. Tickets are £12 (£10 concessions). For more information and to book tickets, click here.
- Help to support the kind of journalism which publishes news stories which the national press takes months to catch up with, and get a range of benefits and exclusive offers as well. All for just £4 per month. Please click here to sign-up as an Inside Croydon donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source, and still based in the heart of Croydon
- 1.4 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017
- “Monitored” by the council CEO since 2010
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS 2017: Inside Croydon was source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org