The Great Global Greyhound Walk 2018 is coming to Banstead Heath on Sunday June 10 with local sighthounds – greyhounds, whippets, all kinds of lurcher, and others – invited to take part in this international event, which sees thousands of sighthounds around the world put their best paws forward to promote these gentle dogs as wonderful family pets.
Run by volunteers from the Surrey Sighthound Walking Group, the walk is a gentle 2½-mile loop of the heath and woodland that will start from The Sportsman pub in Mogador at 10am. There will be a stop off at the pond for those dogs that like a splash about, and in the pub afterwards for their owners to refresh themselves, too.
The walk is completely free to take part in and all sighthounds (and owners) based in and around Croydon and Surrey are welcome to join in – simply arrive in good time (by 9.45am) and park in the pub’s rear car park.
Last year, 54 dogs completed the Mogador walk, bringing the global total of four-legged participants to 5,702. Both the SSWG event organisers and those at GGGW HQ are hoping to beat those figures this year.
As well as a “greyt” social experience for hounds and humans alike, the walk organisers will be fundraising for Wimbledon Greyhound Welfare, an independent charity devoted to caring for and homing retired racing greyhounds.
“Wimbledon Greyhound Welfare has been caring for retired racing greyhounds for almost 40 years and there are always around 70 dogs awaiting adoption at the charity’s Hersham kennels at any time,” said Laura Fewell, who is leading the Mogador event. “It is an independent charity that relies entirely on donations.
“Greyhounds are under-rated dogs that make great pets. While they can run extremely fast, they are generally very lazy. They don’t need much walking and love nothing more than snoozing the day away.
“They are 40mph couch potatoes, and they adapt to home life very well. I adopted my dog, Rena, from WGW a couple of years ago and she has been a wonderful addition to my life.”
To find out more about the breed and the GGGW, take a look at the 2017 walk video on YouTube.
- BECOME AN INSIDE CROYDON SUPPORTER: For just £4 per month, you can support the local journalism that brings you Inside Croydon. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source, and still based in the heart of Croydon
- 1.4 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017
- “Monitored” by the council CEO since 2010
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS 2017: Inside Croydon was source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org