What does one of the darkest symbols of the Cold War have to do with Tramlink and how was it involved with Wandle Park?
Twenty years after the tram returned to Croydon’s streets, there is a tale to be told how local residents fought a plan to construct a tram flyover so ugly and over-powering it was dubbed the “Berlin Wall” by objectors.
This tale is just the latest in some 200 years of tramway and railway activity involving Wandle Park which has seen the world’s first public railway run along one of Britain’s most industrialised river valleys on what is one of the world’s oldest remaining stretches of rail line in constant use.
Enjoy a talk by local resident and rail enthusiast James Graham on 200 years of history from the Surrey Iron Railway to the Berlin Wall and beyond.
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source, and still based in the heart of Croydon
- 1.4 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017
- “Monitored” by the council CEO since 2010
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS 2017: Inside Croydon was source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at email@example.com