St Giles School, the special school in South Croydon, has been designated an Artsmark Platinum school in recognition of its focus on high-quality arts provision for all pupils.
In total, 475 London schools have so far registered for Artsmark, and five of them in Croydon have been given an accreditation. St Giles is the only Croydon school that has been awarded the highest level award – platinum.
The panel of judges who assessed the case study submitted by St Giles said, “As a result of the rich, creative and multi-sensory curriculum that you have developed to meet the individual and specific needs of your pupils, you have not only enabled your pupils to successfully express themselves artistically and creatively, but ensured that their successes are recognised and celebrated through a range of accreditation systems and processes.
“The panel was impressed by your school’s firm, and sustained, commitment to the teaching of the arts, and the development of your partnerships with nationally recognised arts and cultural organisations during your Artsmark journey.
“The school’s collaboration with Tate Modern, for example, was evidently successful in allowing your pupils to overcome the challenges they face and make exceptional achievement in the arts.
“As a consequence of your innovative inclusion, your pupils are able to overcome barriers and access authentic creative experiences. The panel looks forward to hearing of the further impact of your action research projects, and your advocacy role in developing pedagogy in a wide range of settings. Congratulations on your Artsmark Platinum Award!”
St Giles School, on Pampisford Road, is an all-age special school for children with complex, physical, medical and learning needs.
- Support news-breaking local journalism for just £4 per month, and qualify for special money-off discounts. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source. Still here, after eight years, based in the heart of Croydon
- 1.4 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017
- “Monitored” by the council CEO since 2010
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS 2017: Inside Croydon was source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org