Thanks to our loyal reader for this photograph, of a steam roller on its way through Purley yesterday morning.
“I had just crossed the Godstone Road in Purley at about 11.40 when I saw this coming up to the zebra crossing,” they noted.
It’s not known whether the steam roller, chuffing along through clouds of its own steam, was on a special mission. Perhaps it had been ordered by Brick by Brick to help speed up their slow-progress projects at Fairfield Halls, or the New Addington leisure centre?
“It’s probably still in the borough as it was only going at walking pace,” our loyal reader suggested.
We’ve all seen the woman talking her pet Macaw for a walk in central Croydon, East Croydon Station is often good to spot a special steam train on an expensive excursion, and of course there was the Goat Man of Croydon (whatever became of him, and his goats?). But what’s the weirdest or most wonderful, head-turning thing you’ve spotted on your travels around the borough lately?
Photographic evidence essential, obviously…
- Please support Inside Croydon’s award-winning, news-breaking local journalism. It’s just £4 per month, and you qualify for special discounts and offers. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source. Still here, after eight years, based in the heart of Croydon
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- 1.4 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS 2017: Inside Croydon was source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at email@example.com