CROYDON COMMENTARY: Three months after the ‘changeover’ in rubbish contractor Veolia’s bin collection schedules, with new bins, smaller wheelies and recycling boxes which were supposed to be taken away, loyal reader KIRSTIE SMITH, right, has penned on open letter to the residents of Croydon
I’m sick to death of looking at our old recycling boxes.
I’ve now raised a complaint with the council after tweeting them to ask when they’d be collected and promised a date (it seems they’ve now deleted the tweet. Note to self: screen shot everything involving Croydon Council and Veolia in future).
I didn’t take our recycling boxes to the dump because, after originally saying that they would not remove the boxes, the council later – after a lot of public complaints about their failure to match their recycling words with their rubbish deeds – said that they would collect them.
Now, I can’t take them to the dump as I had an accident, am on crutches and cannot drive. Hubby doesn’t drive.
I’m not the only one with boxes, they are all down our street.
So, how about getting the community of Croydon together and building a Christmas tree in town with all the green boxes?
We could call it “art”. An installation, if you like.
A quiet act of peaceful civic protest. We could all do it in the night, on Cost A Mint Walk, just outside Fisher’s Folly, so that none of us is accused of fly tipping.
They could be removed, come Boxing day…
- Please support Inside Croydon’s award-winning, news-breaking local journalism. It’s just £4 per month, and you qualify for special discounts and offers. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source. Still here, after eight years, based in the heart of Croydon
- 1.4 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017
- “Monitored” by the council CEO since 2010
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS 2017: Inside Croydon was source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at email@example.com