Trinity School in Shirley Park has been shortlisted for the Independent School of the Year award by the Times Educational Supplement.
The £17,500-a-year private school, part of the Whitgift Foundation, is one of eight named on the shortlist for the Senior School of the Year award. Among Trinity’s rivals for the category are Reigate Grammar, Brighton College and Wimbledon High.
The senior school category, according to the TES, “will be awarded to a day school in the UK for its performance in the 2017-18 academic year. It is equally applicable to those that have experienced rapid improvement and those that are maintaining continued excellence. It is for senior day schools or all-through schools that have a senior department.
“The judges want to see more than academic achievement: entries should demonstrate innovation, imagination and efforts to develop children in ways that go beyond the league tables.”
Trinity has a strong sports offering, on the rugby pitch, athletics track and in the pool for water polo, while the Trinity School Boys’ Choir has an international reputation for concert performance, but also for providing soundtracks for several Hollywood movies.
“We are delighted for the whole school community that Trinity has been shortlisted for this award,” Alasdair Kennedy, Trinity’s headmaster, said.
“It reflects the commitment of many people over a number of years – staff, students and parents included – to giving our young people an experience of school that is as excellent, enjoyable and grounded as it can be.”
The winners will be revealed at a gala awards evening at a West End hotel in February.
- Please support Inside Croydon’s award-winning, news-breaking local journalism. It’s just £4 per month, and you qualify for special discounts and offers. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source. Still here, after eight years, based in the heart of Croydon
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- 1.4 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS 2017: Inside Croydon was source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org