Orchard Park High, in Shirley, has won a baby grand piano worth at least £8,000 following a competition held at Centrale last weekend.
The school was one of three Croydon secondaries shortlisted by Centrale and Whitgift shopping centres in the giveaway, with the Yamaha baby grand as the prize.
Orchard Park High was chosen by a public vote.
The school says it is re-building its music and performing arts department, “We need good quality instruments.”
The school plans to use the piano in assemblies, in one-to-one piano lessons, in concerts and in whole school musicals. “The musical palace is ready to be built, we just need the tools,” the said.
“We are absolutely delighted to be able to giveaway our Yamaha baby grand piano to such a deserving winner, and right before Christmas,” said Ian Harvey, the marketing manager at Centrale and Whitgift.
“This piano will be at the heart of assemblies, concerts, musicals and lessons at Orchard for years to come, and we’re over the moon to be a part of that.”
- Please support Inside Croydon’s award-winning, news-breaking local journalism. It’s just £4 per month, and you qualify for special discounts and offers. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS 2017: Inside Croydon was source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at email@example.com