The Croydon Trades Union Council’s next discussion is entitled “Surviving Capitalism”, with the guest speaker Derek Wall.
Climate change and other ecological problems threaten human society, yet with the rise of right-wing or even fascist leaders like Jair Bolsonaro, the new Brazilian President, there is a fear that rather than reformism, policies to accelerate environmental destruction will be promoted.
Wall will discuss green trade unionism, the red-green Labour project, the extinction rebellion movement and other projects aimed at challenging the apparent rush to destruction.
Wall is a former international coordinator of the Green Party. A leading ecosocialist, he argues that environmental problems can only be overcome by challenging capitalism.
He has written 13 books on green and ecosocialist politics, the most recent is Hugo Blanco: A Revolutionary for Life published by Merlin Press. He also teaches political economy at Goldsmiths College.
The talk will be held on Thursday January 10, at 7.30pm, at Ruskin House, 23 Coombe Road, CR0 1BD.
- Please support Inside Croydon’s award-winning, news-breaking local journalism. It’s just £4 per month, and you qualify for special discounts and offers. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS 2017: Inside Croydon was source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org