The autobiography of former US First Lady Michelle Obama is first up for South Norwood’s book club’s 2019 reading list.
Becoming will be discussed by The Page Turners group when they gather in Yeha Noha café and bar, on Station Road close to Norwood Junction station, from 7.30pm on Thursday, January 3.
Page Turners is a friendly group of friends and neighbours who meet on the first Thursday of each month to discuss what they learned or enjoyed, or didn’t, from a book nominated at the previous meeting.
Becoming, according to Guy Clapperton, the Page Turners organiser, is the first foray into non-fiction for a while, and was chosen after one member of the group managed to get tickets to hear Obama speak about her book at the Festival Hall recently.
“What better thing to do than to read the actual book?” he said.
“Newcomers are welcome – we use the Lavender room in Yeha Noha, just remember to buy a drink on your way through (or food or whatever).
“If you haven’t finished the book, never mind – many of us don’t! All are welcome and if you’ve been meaning to come, or haven’t been for a while, why not make January your big jumping-in point?”
Page Turners’ Facebook group page can be found here.
- Please support Inside Croydon’s award-winning, news-breaking local journalism. It’s just £4 per month, and you qualify for special discounts and offers. Click here to sign-up as a donor
- Inside Croydon is a member of the Independent Community News Network
- Inside Croydon is the borough’s only independent news source. Still here, after eight years, based in the heart of Croydon
- Inside Croydon named Journalist of the Year at 2018 Anna Kennedy Online Autism Heroes Awards
- 1.4 MILLION PAGE VIEWS IN 2017
- ROTTEN BOROUGH AWARDS 2017: Inside Croydon was source for two award-winning nominations in Private Eye magazine’s annual celebration of civic cock-ups
- If you have a news story about life in or around Croydon, a residents’ or business association or a local event to publicise, please email us with full details at firstname.lastname@example.org